Wednesday, June 4, 2008

How exactly do you create long term food storage?

Lindsay inspired me with her blog to get serious about food storage. I've always known it was important, but it was one of those things that I had no idea what I was doing-so it never got done.
I've done some reading on lds.org about it all, and I'm still lost. Mostly with dry-pack canning. How exactly do you do it? All I know so far is you have to buy the oxygen absorbers, and the lids have to be special so they block moisture and air from getting in. Can I just go to a fred meyer and buy the cans I need? Or do I have to order them special from somewhere else? I saw that lds.org sells the foil packs, but they don't sell aluminum cans.
I just feel so lost! If I could ever figure out how to can it, then what do I do? Keep in in my closet for 20 years, then if I don't use it transfer it to a three month storage and buy more??? I probably should know this, but none of us kids were involved when my parents started the family food storage.
I don't even understand how the Bishop's storehouse works. All I've ever heard is that's a place where you can dry pack things. Do they have materials there that you can buy? My understanding was you brought what you wanted to can, and they had the rest of the tools.
(is that right?)
If anyone knows even the slightest thing about dry-pack canning....PLEASE share your wisdom. I'm desperate!!!


On a different note, I have an interview tomorrow at weisfields jewelers (Kay Jewelers sister store) and they said they would work around a school schedule. At this point, it sounds like heaven! It would mean going back to working in a mall with late nights....But that's what being in college is all about right? I hope the interview goes well! I just really, really, really want a job!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Unfortunately I am no help in the food storage department. But the person you need to talk to is Grandma. Because she is the top dawg when it come to storage anything. A jeweler sounds promising! Why is it that you have all this time to blog and I have ZERO comments from my favorite sister???

Lindsay Marchant said...

Hey, so the only thing I can help with is that you do not pack and then put it on your shelf for 20 years! You have to figure out a system to rotate your food, because as you commented on my blog...eventually everything will go bad. You want to have lots of food and then use it! Oldest first.

Cinda said...

Dry pack canning is done at the Bishop's storehouse. You either buy the food at the storehouse or bring your own (make sure the food you bring in is something they will allow you to can). Usually the ward puts together a party of five people or more per canning session. Some put food in the cans (which the storehouse provides), some put the oxygen absorbers in and the lid on, someone puts the can in the machine and seals it, someone puts a label on the can so you know what's inside, and someone packs the cans in boxes and labels them! When everyone's stuff is canned, you go pay in the office and take it home!