Sunday, April 5, 2009

Me?!? A bookworm? How did that happen??

I know, it's kind of crazy. I never liked books growing up. We had that accelerated reader program when I was in school, and it mostly turned me off to the idea of reading. I remember getting so mad (I think I was a little defiant in my youth) that it was part of my grade to read only the books they told me to read. So aside from what I had to read for english, I didn't really touch books.

I think now that I'm somewhat grown up I've become a little more introverted, or I slowly made myself that way because I don't have the same social circles that I used too. I'm happily content most nights going to the library and finding a good book to get rapped up in. Or, just re-reading Twilight over and over again. haha. I do have those nights where I wish that I had lots of friends to go and do things with, but I guess you have to make due with what you have.

Anyway, I've been having lots of luck with finding decent books until now...First off, I guess I have to admit that I'm a sucker for love stories. (Mostly thanks to Twilight.) But I can't believe that the last three books I've picked out at the library I've had to stop before I even read 50 pages of them! I love reading romance, but I'm not really a fan of the "romance" if you know what I mean. I always think that I'm being really careful, I thumb through the pages-I read the little description on the back, and they never sound "bad" in that sense. But once I start reading a little bit I end up dropping the books (LITERALLY) because I'm shocked about what was just on the page.

I think there needs to be some sort of rating system when it comes to books. I'm not just talking about 'this book was good or bad' I mean this book is rated G, PG, PG-13, or X. Just so that people don't get caught off guard when they are trying to find a good book to read. I don't think coming up with a rating would be that far fetched either, they do it for movies, and even CD's have a parental label. So why not a book?

If anyone knows of any good book review websites I'm all ears for it. Or if you guys have recommendations for good books that you've read that would be amazing too, because apparently I can't pick a half way decent book to read. School is coming up tomorrow though, and then I won't have time to read anything anyway. Not unless it's my textbook.

Spring break didn't seem at all long enough. Normally I'm always excited and ready to start a new term. But this time I still feel like I need another week off. I started summer term last year, and I'm not going to take it off this year either. I slacked off for way too long and I'm focusing of just getting DONE with school. Not to mention that the sooner I have an education tucked under my belt, the sooner we can have little Eastin's running around the house. My goal was to start really trying to loose weight over the spring and summer and then start trying at the end of the year. It wouldn't really be heathly at my weight right now getting pregnant, so I'm trying to fix that. If anyone wants a work out or diet buddy definitely give me a call! I'm probably going to need all the help I can get! sigh. I guess since it's almost 10 O'clock and I have school in the morning I should get my booty to bed.

6 comments:

Maddie said...

I'm with you on reading Twilight over and over again! I recently read the Fablehaven series..not usually something I would read(sci-fi), but they are actually pretty good (and a fast read, which is good when you have limited time!)Oh and I would LOVE to be your work out buddy..too bad we live in different states!

Chisonh said...

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Howl's Moving Castle, Journey of Buddha, Frankenstein, and there are loads of other books Ive read that I cant remember the names of at the moment.

Its good that you became a bookworm, it increases your vocab and makes you better able to produce whole scentences.

Heh, see what I did there? Anyway I think you get the point so Ill let you decide what to read.

Lanette said...

Aww, I wish we could be workout buddies! Unfortunately, I think the commute would make it a little tough. But I've been looking for one. Also, I love Twilight too! I became a bookworm in February when I began my job hunt, and I've read a lot of great books and a lot of horrible ones. A rating system would definitely be nice. I recommend anything my Gail Levine (she's a YA writer, but her books are fabulous, especially Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses of Bamarre (sp?), and Fairest.) I also recommend Goose Girl. Sorry this has become a novel in itself :)

Jen said...

Sigh, I wish I had more time to read! I love reading too! Glad you're hooked. Twilight rocks. I'm trying to lose weight right now too. Call me and tell me to work out! Love ya!

Steph said...

I think we are all getting older together...
I agree with youon the rating system. I love older novels and such, I find those to be very 'clean.' I haven't had much time to read them, though. Also, anything you find at the church bookstore is very clean, except the Twilight series, so watch out for those! LOL

Cinda said...

I recommend sticking with authors you know and trust, or authors your friends have read and trust. Read "Guernsey Island Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!" I thought it was hysterical . . . and a sweet love story. I Georgette Heyer writes regency stuff that is usually funny and a good love story. My favorite is "These Old Shades" and the sequel "The Devil's Cub." I have a e-book I can e-mail you if you're interested.