I just have to say, I LOVE SUNDAY!
I feel like it's my guilt free lazy day. (Even though I know there are so many other things that I could be doing.) Dave and I always cuddle up and pop in a good kid movie. Today we watched "The Rookie." Ya know that fun baseball one?? Anyway, I love being able to just relax and focus on better things then all the stress in life.
We had a really awesome lesson today in our combined relief society/priesthood class. The topic was on parenting, but we didn't really have a huge discussion about parents. Our teacher found a talk in the ensign (I think from 1995?) where they did a study involving 54 different stakes about parenting. In the study, the goal was to find out what was motivating kids to go on missions, serve in the church...blah blah blah. OF COURSE everyone in the class said that kids reading scriptures and having FHE, and going to activities were the leading reasons why kids stay active and go on missions and get married in the temple.
You know what I found out though??? The biggest factor with kids growing up and going to the Temple--is the simple fact that their parents were sealed in the temple. That's it, It wasn't the fact that their family had FHE everyday, or he/she went to mutual activities. Since kids can be involved with those things...but not really have their own testimony.
(Those are important though, our teacher just didn't want the lesson focusing on how you should raise your kids, because everyone does it different, and kids turn out lots of different ways no matter what you do.)
He also said that one of the other important contributing factors to keeping kids active are their advisor's! So he challenged all of us to be prepared to be advisor's to all children, even if they aren't your own. Because you can make a different in a kids life, just by being their teacher, or councilor.
I swear I'm not doing this lesson justice, it sounded so much better when he gave it.
I just got called to work in the primary too, so this lesson came at the perfect time. How cool is that? Knowing I could be the one to keep some kid strong in the gospel? It got me totally psyched to be a part of primary!
The missionaries also came by our place tonight. They are a fun bunch of boys, they invited us to be a part of the missionary discussions for our neighbor in our apartment complex. I've talked with her a couple times, so I hope all goes well with that. They also kind of just shot the breeze for a while and reminisced with David about missionary stories. (It's actually hilarious once you get them started)...They have a missionary lingo, and if you aren't familiar with it it sounds like a different language.
So anyway, that was my fun-filled Sunday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This was such a good blog! I love hearing about good lessons! Congrats on being called to primary. It's fun. Kids are so dang cute!
Post a Comment