Saturday, October 4, 2008

More Venting..but good stuff too! hehe

My financial aid application finally got processed. It probably won't do me any good now, but at least I'll be squared away for the rest of the year. I still can't believe that the financial aid office told me I was all set for fall. Sigh, oh well, what's done is done.
My classes are going pretty well so far at least! I'm in 2 accounting classes. (They intimidate me a lot!) But so far I seem to be hanging in there. It's actually kind of interesting to learn! I had no idea this much stuff went into accounting. Sesh, there are so many 'special' terms for everything.

On a different note, I'm going to start looking for another job. I've had my last strand with Burlington coat factory tonight. There's too many people who work there who are inconsiderate and rude, and some (mostly in management...cough cough) are STUPID!

2 people in my department (which is sportswear-the biggest section of the store) are pregnant. Nice. They both have called in 2ce each the past 2 weeks. (That's 4 flippin shifts!) Which...okay..I know I know...being pregnant does make you sick. But why work in retail then?!? Go get another job, or just quit and stay home. If you don't come to work-it's not like your making money anyway...right?
There's also one other girl who has pulled 3 no show's in the past moth. (Oh the people I work with are lovely) To top if off-this afternoon she went on her lunch....and then never came back to work the rest of her shift. Yet, she still has a job with us *This is what I mean by my management is retarded* (Could someone explain to me why she has a job still?)
All the while-its me, the dependable one who has to cover everyone shifts, and end up working the department short staffed...NOTE: it's not just me, there are probably 3 other workers who actually show up and work when they are supposed too. I'm just being petty. kind of.
Tonight I had my last straw though. There was 2 of us closing in my department. (There should be bare minimum 3 on a weekend) And I got a page at 5 o-clock from the manager saying that I was needed as a back up cashier. I talk to 2 different managers and explain that there is only 2 people in sportswear, and we can't keep up with things as it is. The manager said "sorry, can't do anything about it-you need to deal with it and be a cashier" *yet again, why my managers are retarded at work* I wanted to say "yes, you can deal with it-it's YOUR job, that's why we call you the manager."
............So I spent probably a solid hour on my floor the entire night I was there. Which left the other employee by herself pretty much all night. By the time we closed-we still had a mountain of clothes from the dressing rooms. Including half a cart full of lingerie (if anyone's worked retail, then you know this is the worst thing in the world) Anyway, on to the story. So the manager for the night is walking around to see what's getting done in our department. I told her about the lingerie cart, and explained that my supervisor told me earlier today that if there was things we couldn't get to, she would take care of them in the morning. I told the store manager that I was going to take her up on that offer-considering we still had normal clothes to put away-plus pick up all the crap and clothes off the floor. The manager looks at me and say's "what, do you not know how to put away lingerie?....We've got all night, you can put it away" excuse me?!?! It ticked me off when she said that, because the managers stand around at the front of the store till your department is clean. They don't actually help. Plus-this was the same manager who told me I had to be on a till, and if she just would have listened to me. All of our clothes could have been put away before we were even closed.
As if she didn't taunt me enough with that little remark-I was picking up clothes from the registers, and she said "oh-Rachel isn't very happy with me tonight"
I looked at her and said "No, and I'm not happy with people in my department either-If people showed up for there shifts like they were supposed too-I wouldn't be stuck here later at night then I have to be. "
She replied with this... "gasp...Rachel you should like the people you work with-we look out for each other here"
HA! This is coming from the manager who wouldn't let me work in my own department. Made me help out at the registers, and then expected my department to look flawless before I went home??? Right. (By the way, the cashiers went home at 9:30..an hour before me..they aren't expected to help other departments-even though other departments have to help them)
Urg...She made even more snippy remarks at me tonight. I somehow managed to bite my tongue. I have a hard time controlling my argumentative side when people provoke me that much.



ANYWAY-I was thinking tonight a lot about general conference tonight. And how pretty much every talk revolved around trails, stress, anxiety and how to cope with those things. Well, I guess not really cope-but at least understand why we have those things in our life. I have started reading "spiritual survival in the last days" and that book really opened my eyes too. The first few chapters talks about our need to have trails in our life-and not just because they make us stronger-But because our Heavenly Father knows that's the time when it's easiest for us to have a relationship with him. It's easy to remember to pray to him when we've had a horrible day-or a not so good week. It's easy to remember to read our scriptures so we can be comforted by the spirit. And it's easy for us to be thankful for the things that we have. When things tend to go well in our life, that's the time when we forget about our reliance on our Heavenly Father.
That put a HUGE lightbulb on my head for me...and it even made me feel a little guilty! I've always kind of felt sorry for myself for the trails I've gone through-and still go through. I always felt like I had my fiar share, and the lord could loosen up on me a little bit. What I didn't realize until now (well a week or so ago) was that Heavenly Father wants to have a relationship with me so much that he constantly put these things in my life to force to be humble-and make me keep my relationship strong with him.
I just find that amazing-and totaly mind boggling!
I also think it tied along with the conference session nicely. Especially since they talked a lot about how our Heavenly Father is always there for us-no matter what we are going through. Even if it's something we put on ourselves. I really enjoyed Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk about how we just need to learn to laugh. I liked the quote he used about his mother's saying "Come what may, and love it." I also really liked the other quote (though I can't remember off hand who said it..I think Dallin H Oaks) who said "Life is hard-but the lords way is simple"...or something to that effect.
Anway, I think I've rambled long enough...I'm just beyond grateful for the blessings that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has given me. And I'm beyond grateful for the knowledge that my Heavenly Father Loves me!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I thought conference was good too! I was also kind of wondering why it was focused on trials and how hard things can be and that we have to rely on the Lord.....but then I read your blog, and I realized they all said it for you!!!! Work will work out. Don't focus on how bad it is and it will get better!! I know, lame. i'm pretty tired!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

I've never had to do retail and apparently I'm not missing out on much! Phew! I'll stick with my office accounting job and subsequent 'secretary spread'. :P
Your anger and frustration was totally justified. I would've been biting my tongue big time!