Poor David was all by himself last weekend. My old friend from high school ended up flying into Seattle to visit a friend and set aside 3 days of fun just for me! Originally we were thinking we could go on some crazy road trip to Canada, but that didn't end up happening. Instead we stayed at her friends house in Seattle and ended up 'going with the flow' and doing whatever came to mind. I can't believe how much fun we ended up having! We went shopping for salsa dancing shoes, (oh my goodness! I'll have to talk about that later) went hiking pretty much everyday, ate a TON of amazing food, and my most favorite.......went salsa dancing every night!!!!! :o)
I loved seeing her! She has such a different and interesting perspective on life. She has practiced Buddhism for the past couple years, has traveled all over the world-like England, Columbia, India..you name it she's pretty much been there! Her mind is always open to learning new things. I just love her!
My friend and I always talked about going dancing, but I never thought we would actually go... She goes all the time where she lives back in Colorado, and she always said if we got together she would take me, but I always thought maybe it was a little to...uh...risqué for someone who's husband was going to be sitting at home--especially salsa dancing..I always thought that salsa was a 'dirty' dance. I mean, you always see them in the movies getting nice and...uh...close..with their partners ya know? It's nice to know that all of that is pretty much Hollywood! The majority of people in the clubs don't dance like that! They stand 2 feet away from each other, and the only touching that goes on is on the......................fingers! haha!
I had a blast!!!!!! We found clubs that offered classes before they turned everyone loose for dancing, which we always seemed to miss the classes, (but that's a whole-nother story!) So for the most part, everyone were beginners at all the clubs that we went too. whew! I would have looked soooooo stupid if we went to a real club!
The first night we went out I was standing on the sides trying to watch everyones feet and mimic privately in the corner, but I was caught! Some nice guy (he was a student at the university majoring in dance) came over and took pity on me. This is a little bit like our conversation we had...I'll try to paint the scene, but I'm not very good that.
Nice boy: "Do you know the basic step"
Me: shocked "No, I don't know anything, we missed the class earlier"
Nice boy: sigh "O.K in Salsa, this is a dance about.........yada yada yada(I have no idea what he actually said)...Keep your shoulders down, your arms relaxed, and hook your hands in mine"
Me: "Ok" thinking to myself that this would be a walk in the park.
We start dancing, and after 3 seconds he says
"Keep your shoulders down!..........Keep your fingers hooked........watch my face not my feet"
Me: "Sorry..............sorry..............sorry!"
haha! Needless to say, my first lesson probably could have been a lot better! But he stuck in there with me till I could at least do a basic step and turn....Bless his little heart!
So anyway, I'm totally obsessed with salsa dancing now, and convinced David to take lessons with me :o) So maybe the next time I go to Seattle I can show off my moves!
Speaking of David...It's his Birthday tomorrow, he will be turning 25! It's weird thinking he's 25, he still seems 22 like when we first got married. I'm so sad that we don't have the money to spoil him this year. Normally I'm the coolest wife ever and I get everything that was on his wish list. I guess that's just going to have to wait until next year :o(
Oh well I guess............HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment